Urdu as a language has always mesmerized people with its beautiful words. In today’s world, Urdu is used in a variety of forms; one of the prime examples is Bollywood songs.
Similarly, Urdu poetry/shayari is known to catch your imagination and evoke the poet in you. It can pull out any kind of emotion in you through its wordings. In this article, I’ll list a total of 21 famous Urdu poems of all time along with the name of the poet.
If you’re reading this, it is rest assured you have a liking towards Urdu shayaris/poems, isn’t it?
Let’s check them out:
21 best Urdu poems of all time (top Urdu shayaris)
1. Haathon Ki Lakeeron Pe Mat Ja Ghalib – Mirza Ghalib
Known to be one of the greats in terms of Urdu and Persian poetry, Mirza Ghalib was a popular poet of his times. Born in 1797 in Agra, he went on to be the poet tutor of Bahadur Shah Zafar. There are tons of Urdu poems that he has written, but ‘Haathon Ki Lakeeron’ occupies one of the top spots.
Here’s the full Urdu Shayari –
2. Kyun Darein Zindagi Mein Kya Hoga – Javed Akhtar
Javed Akhtar has been in the Bollywood industry for a while now as a lyricist. However, he has a long list of Urdu poems that you should check out. Kyun darein zindagi mein kya hoga is one of his finest poems and an eternal classic.
3. Hoshwalon Ko Khabar Kya Bekhudi Kya Cheez Hai – Nida Fazli
This might ring a bell to your ears as the lyrics were used for one of the songs from the movie Sarfarosh. Awarded the Padma Shri in 2013, Nida Fazli was a famous Urdu poet, lyricist, and his wordings are still loved by people.
4. Lakeerein Hai To Rehne Do – Gulzar
Another prominent lyricist and someone who’s been delivering us classic Urdu poems is Gulzar. Having written the lyrics of numerous Bollywood songs, Gulzar Sahab strikes Gold with his magical Urdu words.
5. Kisi Ko Ghar Mila Hisse Mein Ya Koi Dukaan Aaye – Munawwar Rana
This is a touching Urdu poem by Munawwar Rana about his mother. Additionally, he won the Sahitya Akademi Award for Urdu literature in 2014.
6. Ibtidaa-E-Ishq Hain Rota Hai Kya – Mir Taqi Mir
Mir Taqi Mir was an Urdu poet during the 18th century in India and he’s said to be one of the pioneers who gave shape to the Urdu Language.
7. Ishq Nazuk Mizaj Hai Behad – Akbar Allahabadi
This is an excellent poem with the magic or Urdu verses about love with a pinch of sarcasm and harmless mockery. Give it a read down below –
8. Ek Naam Kya Likha Tera Sahil Ki Ret Par – Parveen Shakir
There have been fewer female Urdu poets as compared to their male counterparts. However, Parveen Shakir has her scintillating verse that does the talking with a list of Urdu poems in her armory.
9. Bulati Hai Magar Jaane Ka Nahi – Rahat Indori
This poem became an instant hit among the youth, thanks to social media. The powerful words in Urdu by the late Rahat Indori give you a life lesson.
You can check out the full poem below –
10. Kabhi Main Apne Haathon Ki Lakeeron – Bashir Badr
An Indian poet who specialized in the Urdu language, Bashir Badr has also been part of the teaching staff of Aligarh Muslim University. He has outstanding knowledge of Urdu poetry, and he has also written ghazals.
11. Aur Bhi Dukh Hai Zamaane Mein Mohabbat Ke Siwa – Faiz Ahmed Faiz
If you’re an ardent fan of heartbreak-related poetry, Faiz Sahab strikes the right chord with his Urdu words. He was a legend in Pakistan with his majestic writings and one surely one of the greats.
12. Jahaan Rahega Wahi Raushni Lutaega – Waseem Barelvi
Waseem Barelvi hails from the state of Uttar Pradesh. Apart from being a popular Urdu poet, many of his ghazals were sung by the late Jagjit Singh.
13. Arz-O-Samaa Kahaa Teri Vusat Ko Paa Sake – Khwaja Mir Dard
Khwaja Mir Dard was one of the notable Urdu poets hailing from Delhi during the 18th century. This poem is surely one of my top picks as his words bring a sense of romance to his verses in Urdu.
14. Itne Khaamosh Bhi Raha Na Karo, Ghum Judaai Mein Yun Kiya Na Karo – Munir Niazi
Munir Niazi Sahab delivers one of the best shayaris I have come across. Apart from being a popular poet from Pakistan, he used to even write for newspapers and magazines.
15. Gham Aur Khushi Mein Farq Na Mahsus Ho – Sahir Ludhianvi
Sahir Ludhianvi was an Indian poet and a song lyricist as well. Due to his magical writings, he won the Filmfare Award for the best lyricist for the Taj Mahal.
16. Koi Ibadat Ki Chah Mein Roya, Koi Ibadat Ki Raah Mein Roya – Allama Iqbal
Having known to be one of the prominent figures of Persian and Urdu literature, he is regarded as the national poet of Pakistan.
17. Mere Lafzon Ki Pehchaan Kar Leta Wo – Ahmad Faraz
It is a deep poem that talks about self-love. Such fascinating Urdu words can make you fall in love with the language. Ahmad Faraz nails this with his writing skills.
18. Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam – Kaifi Azmi
Remember this dialogue from Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani? It was the wordings of Kaifi Azmi, who was a big name who introduced Urdu literature to motion movies.
19. Kya Karu Zindagi Ke Baare Mein – Jaun Elia
Jaun Elia was popular for his unconventional ways of presenting a poem with a unique style. After the 1947 partition, he migrated to Pakistan.
20. Tu Jo Kal Aane Ko Kehta Hai – Nazeer Akbarabadi
Hailed as the Father of Nazm, he had a wide range in his poems and ghazals too.
21. Bada Maza Ho Jo Mahshar Mein Hum Karen Shikva – Daagh Dehlvi
Most of Daagh Dehlvi’s work revolved around romance and sensuous poems. This particular poem is no different as well.
People also ask
1. What is a poem called in Urdu?
It is called Nazm.
2. What is a 6-line poem called in Urdu?
It is generally referred to as Marsiya with a rhyming quatrain.
3. Who is the Father of Urdu Poems?
4. Is Urdu older than Hindi?
Hindi is an older language as it came in the 9th century, while Urdu began in the 12th century.
5. Who was the first Urdu Poet?
Amir Khusro was the first Urdu poet.
Urdu can be extremely attractive when you hear someone speak the language. There’s a sense of calmness and magic in those words when one speaks in Urdu. To turn you into an Urdu poet, I have displayed a list of 21 Urdu poems that you can use on someone or just learn for yourself.
You may also like – Best Hindi Writers And Poets